Friday, November 1, 2013

Net Worth October 2013

In 2009 I made the decision to pursue my education at my dream school.  Of course, the school I adored couldn’t be an in-state public school.  That would have been too easy.  Instead, I had to fall in love with one of the most expensive private schools in the country.  Even though I received a scholarship that covered a good portion of the cost and my parents were so generous and paid for most my schooling, I still came out with loans totaling almost $30,000.

This is somewhere around the average for new graduates, but it doesn’t feel any less daunting.

Because of this debt (which I hate), I decided to accept a job offer in my hometown and move back in with my parents.  About three times a day, I think about moving out and getting my own place, but I start to break down the finances and I really like the idea of contributing $1000+ to my loans every month, something that almost certainly would go away if I lived on my own.

To give a breakdown of my progress thus far:

·         June:
o   Assets: $5,000.00
o   Liabilities: $(29,885.20)
o   Net Worth: $(24,885.20)

You can see why this was such a bummer.  Who wants to have a negative net worth?  Nobody!

·         July:
o   Assets: $5,000.00
o   Liabilities: $(29,715.54)
o   Net Worth: $(24,715.54)
o   Bottom line: + $169.66

While it doesn’t really appear that my financial situation has changed, it totally has!  I started my first full-time job in June and was able to finally make a payment on my loans!  It’s such a great feeling to see the amount of debt I have go down!

·         August:
o   Assets: $5,300.00
o   Liabilities: $(29,244.96)
o   Net Worth: $(23,944.96)
o   Bottom Line: + $940.24

This was the first month I was able to contribute to my emergency fund and the first month I made a reasonable impact on my debt.  I went up almost a thousand dollars – a great feeling!

·         September:
o   Assets: $5,923.02
o   Liabilities: $(28,771.81)
o   Net Worth: $(22,848.79)
o   Bottom line: + $1,096.17

September was an awesome month!  I built up my net worth by more than a thousand dollars.  This was the result of four things:  1) Paying off student loan debt ($600 – almost double the minimum payment once I’m required to start paying back!), 2) Contributing to my emergency savings fund, 3) Opening and contributing to my Roth IRA, and 4) Contributing to my work’s 401k plan.

I really like saving, but, for me, it doesn’t feel quite as good as paying down my debt.  I decided to really buckle down and get really frugal to start paying down my loans even faster!

·         October:
o   Assets: $6,870.76
o   Liabilities: $(27,627.16)
o   Net Worth: $(20,756.40)
o   Bottom line: + $2,092.39

Wow!  I gained more than two thousand dollars!  October was a great month.  I put a ton of money toward my loan ($1,299.45) and added a bunch more to my various savings accounts (emergency, Roth IRA and 401k).  All of these finances are getting me pretty excited for the end of November’s net worth.  November is an extra paycheck month for me, so I bet I’ll really see the savings come through!  I’m hoping to match (and even exceed!) October’s gain!  Do you think I can get my net worth to be more than -$20,000 and contribute $2,000 to my loans?  I definitely think it’s a possibility.

·         November GOALS:
o   Contribute $2,000 to my loans

o   Achieve a net worth of $(20,000.00)

No comments:

Post a Comment