Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Gifts to Myself! ... For Everyone Else

I just finished putting together my budget for Christmas gifts and was pleased to see that even without the budget, I still did pretty well staying within my targets.  This made me wonder how other people budget for this, if they budget, and where the money comes from.

I’m lucky enough that I get to see most of my close family right around Christmas time and can give gifts in person.  Others in my life are a little harder to shop for since they live farther away and I rarely see them during the holidays.

I’ll let you in on my secret for those gifts; I used my Discover Cashback Bonus dollars to purchase gift cards to 1800baskets.com.  It’s awesome, because now these gifts are like freebies.  Don’t get me wrong; this has been my intention since last Christmas and I’ve had to be smart about my purchases to reach my cashback goal.  I make sure to always sign up for the three-month long 5% back deals and I try to be diligent when ordering online to see if Discover will give me a cashback bonus if I bypass Discover.com.

This year that added up to about $130 to spend on gift certificates.  The other awesome thing about this plan is that I can spend $80 of my bonus, but receive a $100 gift certificate.  It’s almost like my free money is getting me more free money if I redeem it wisely.


Do you take advantage of deals like this?  When do you use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment