Sunday, December 1, 2013

Net Worth November 2013

November was a great month for a couple of reasons:
1.      It was a three paycheck month.  Even though I took a couple hundred dollars out to help buy Christmas gifts in December, I still managed not to cut into the third paycheck at all and could put the entire thing (plus more!) toward my student loans.
2.      Although I went away for two weekends, one was with four other family members so my costs were reasonably low and the other was for Thanksgiving.  My mom has a certain number of personal miles for use on her company car, so we took that.  Regardless of whether she maxes out those miles, she is charged for them, so that trip cost me nothing in gas and almost all purchases were Christmas gifts.

Let’s see how I did.

·         November:
o   Assets: $7,642.06
o   Liabilities: $(24,998.60)
o   Net Worth: $(17,356.54)
o   Bottom line: + $3,399.86

What an awesome month!  In total I contributed $2,692.21 to my loans (blew away the $2,000 goal!) and achieved a net worth of well above the $(20,000.00) I set for myself.

·         November GOALS:
o   Contribute $2,000 to my loans
o   Achieve a net worth of $(20,000.00)

While December is a holiday month and I will probably be receiving gift money from some family members, I am not budgeting that into my goals at all.  I will probably see what comes in and then find a balance between adding to my Roth IRA, paying down my loans and buying myself some tangible gifts.  Here’s what I hope to do:

·         December GOALS:
o   Contribute $200 (instead of the usual $100) to my Roth IRA
o   Achieve a net worth of $(16,000.00)


NOTE: My company does a 401K match, but I do not include that or any growth in that account in my net worth updates.  This is because I don’t have access to the account on a daily basis.  When a statement comes in, this will all be updated with true-to-life values.  Additionally, my Roth IRA isn’t invested in anything at the moment.  I am hoping to up my contributions in the new year to accomplish two things: (1) max out 2014 contributions at $5,500 and (2) bring my account up to the minimum value to start buying into some different mutual funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment