Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mission: Roth IRA 2013/2014

As of December 31, 2013, I’ve only put $993 in my Roth IRA for the year.  Guess what though?  You can continue to contribute and have it count for 2013 until April 15th, 2014!  I know that yesterday I said my plan of attack in regards to my financial priorities was to stick all my money into my smallish loan, then hit the Roth, but I’m actually going to do minimum payments on my loans and stick all of my money into the Roth!

I really would like to max it out at $5,500.  To do that, I would need to contribute about $1,127 every month (including April).  What a bummer that all of that money, about 43% of my take home pay and 29% of my gross income, is going to be untouchable for years and years to come, but I don’t think I really need to reiterate AGAIN how much can be gained in the long term by giving up this money in the short term.

Regardless, new mission:  Contribute $10,007 to my Roth IRA (2013 remainder and 2014 contribution).

I’m wondering if this is a completely crazy feat with everything else I have on my plate.  Oh well; whether I manage to hit all of my targets or not, I know that I’ll have worked hard to keep my eye on the ball and make it happen!


Do you try to max out your IRA?  Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment