Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Net Worth December 2013

December ended up being a pretty mediocre month when it came to my finances.  I definitely spent less than I brought in and I actually didn’t use up my entire budget.  I’m debating whether I should be putting more money into my emergency fund right now or paying down my loans.  I’ve been looking at houses to rent with some friends and more money in the bank would definitely help with that.  However, I love seeing the negative part of my net worth get closer and closer to zero.  It helps me to really visualize the payoff date.

Reasons December was Financially Awful
1.      Christmas gifts – Even though I set aside a good amount of money for this in November, I still somehow managed to go over budget in this area.
2.      Gifts to myself – The issue with online shopping for Christmas gifts for my family is that I often find things for myself.  My spending on myself (in regards to clothing and accessories) was WAY up.
3.      Social spending – I took vacation time which meant I was able to spend more time with friends and that meant eating out and buying drinks at the bar, definitely not good for my discretionary spending.
4.      Travel – Usually I come in way under budget on fuel/train tickets, but this month I just barely squeaked by.  Additionally, I ended up buying plane tickets for two different trips (one in February and one in July).  I was able to get pretty good prices, but still spent a little over $700 that I don’t typically spend.
5.      Student loans – This month I only paid about $150 more than the minimum, which is well below my target.

Reasons December Finances could be Moderately Recovered
1.      Christmas money – The good news is that pretty much all of the money I spent on gifts to myself was recovered through Christmas gift money.  While it’s sad that I can’t imagine all of the possibilities for that money, I’m very pleased with all of my already purchased items.
2.      Travel – While I spend $573 on my trip to Atlanta, that was actually the cost for both my girlfriend and me to go.  Therefore, I’ll get an unexpected income of $246.50 in January or February when she reimburses me!
3.      Student loans – I was still able to pay more than the minimum this month.  I didn’t pay as much as I normally do, which is a bummer, but I should be able to recoup that with my friend’s plane money and by cutting my shopping and other spending this month.
4.      Savings – I managed to put my standard $267.20 as well as an added $350 into my emergency fund savings account.  I decided to put this toward my savings instead of my loans because I foresee an eye doctor’s visit and new glasses on the horizon.  Additionally, I want to be putting money there to get ready for LASIK surgery.  I’m (sort of) hoping to do this by the end of 2014, but more realistically will be getting it done in 2015 or 2016.  Regardless, I feel more comfortable having that money on hand in case I need it.

Let’s see how I did.

·         December:
o   Assets: $8,653.04
o   Liabilities: $(24,706.90)
o   Net Worth: $(16,092.97)
o   Bottom line: + $1,302.68

·         December GOALS:
o   Contribute $200 (instead of the usual $100) to my Roth IRA
o   Achieve a net worth of $(16,000.00)

I did manage to contribute $200 to my Roth IRA, so I’m glad I hit that goal.  I hope to max that out for 2014.  I didn’t hit my net worth goal of $(16,000.00).  While I’m disappointed that I didn’t make it, I love when I get to see that get closer and closer to the zero mark.

What I really love is that fact that my total net worth for 2013 increased $8,831.34!  My gross income for 2013 was $27,763.13.  Taxes, social security, health insurance, etc. took $7,278.71 out of commission, which means that my total spending for the year was 11,653.11.  While I feel really great about this number, I also feel like it could have been lower.

Since I’m starting my goals for January of 2014, I’m also going to do a goals list for the whole year of 2014.  Hopefully I can make it!

·         January GOALS:
o   Spend no money in the clothing category (I typically budget $250/month, but I went overboard in December.  I am going to buckle down for this month to balance it out!)
o   Achieve a net worth of $(14,500.00)
o   Contribute $1,200.00 toward my student loans.
o   Build my assets to $9,000.00

·         2014 GOALS:
o   Have a positive net worth!  This is a pretty hefty and overarching goal.  The reason I believe I can achieve it is that I would need to increase my net worth by $1,333.07 per month.  I’ve proven in September, October, November and December that I can meet, or at least get close to this goal.  Additionally, if I really buckle down in those three paycheck months (May and October this year!) then I really think I can balance out my low gain months.  I want to still be aware that I may be missing one paycheck at some point during the year as I’m hoping to do some international travel and may have to use unpaid vacation time.
o   Pay off my second AES loan, leaving me to only make payments on my MGL loan.  I really hope to do this by April of 2014 at the latest, but I recognize that contributing to my Roth IRA and my emergency fund may not allow this until later in the year.  That’s why I’ll make it a monthly goal when I have a closer idea of when it will be realistically achievable.
o   Contribute $4,000.00 to my MGL loan.  If I only make them minimum monthly payment of $256.62, then I would contribute $3,079.44 over the course of 2014.  To up this to $4,000.00, I would need to contribute $333.33/month.  I’m hoping that this is realistic, but I’m not sure with all of my savings goals.
o   Max out my Roth IRA.  I’m able to contribute up to $5,500 this year.  I plan to max this out, and I’m hoping to do so by September, which means I would need to contribute about $611.11 every month.  I’m not sure how this will work out or if I’ll even contribute evenly.  For now I’m keeping my automatic monthly payments at $200 and I’ll reassess later on.
o   Contribute $3,000.00 to my 401k.  If I take no unpaid time off and work no overtime, I would contribute $3,182.40 out of my pocket.  Therefore, I’m assuming that even if I take two full unpaid weeks (~$122.40 in contribution) and no overtime, I can still meet my goal here.  Since there’s a possibility I’ll be doing some international travel, I want to make sure I’m accounting for at least one totally missing paycheck.
o   Get to $5,000.00 in my emergency fund.  I’m currently at $2,017.23. My automatic monthly contribution is $267.20.  At that rate, assuming no interest growth as it’s so low, I will make it to $5,223.63, so I should be able to meet that goal easily.  Obviously, it’s nice to have the excess, but that “extra” money might go toward loans or one of my other goals.


I’m trying to think of a good way to consistently remind myself of my financial goals throughout the year as well as throughout the month.  Last month I definitely lost sight of my net worth goal and that obviously contributed to my lackluster financial performance.  Do you have any ideas of how to keep your financial goals a top priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment