Saturday, January 4, 2014

December Cashback Rewards

After spending most of my built up Discover Cashback Rewards on gift baskets for family and friends who live far way, I used the remainder of my 2013 dollars on Amazon to offset the cost of a Fitbit activity tracker.

I’ve been wanting an activity/calorie tracker for a while and finally decided that for less than $100 (minus the ~$46 from my rewards), I could definitely try this one out and see if I like using it.

What I forgot about was how much BANK I would be making in December in Cashback Rewards!  I just checked my December credit card statement and I got 72.82 in Bonus Rewards.  This is the highest I’ve ever achieved in one month and is approximately 2/3 of what I earned in all of 2013.  I attribute this to a few things:

1.      20% 1800Baskets.com – Even though I only actually paid $5 on my Discover card ($100 cashback rewards gift certificate), I did navigate to the site through Discover.com first.  This got me 20% back on the WHOLE purchase (~$105), earning me $21.00.
2.      10% The Limited – I again was diligent enough to navigate to TheLimited.com through Discover.com first, giving me 10% back on my purchase, earning me $13.41.
3.      5% Online Shopping – The Discover promotion for October, November and December was 5% back for online shopping.  As I did all of my clothing purchases and many of my Christmas purchases online in December, I earned $29.41 in this category.
4.      1% Everywhere Else – This is great.  Even when I don’t navigate to Discover.com or get a special reward somehow, I can always guarantee I’ll build up at least a little something.  I earned $9.00 this month.

I definitely overspent a bit this month which made my bill a little bit high, but I ended up putting $1,374.69 on my card and got back $72.82 in bonuses.  That’s 5.30% back in total.  This was definitely AWESOME news to get after my crazy spending.


While I typically use those rewards to get discounted gift certificates, I’m actually considering using just this month’s to pay down my bill a little.  What do you think I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment