Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Flippity Flopper

For those of you who have noticed that I change my short-tern financial goals at the bat of an eye, I want to explain why I do it and why I think it’s okay.

Every time I change my mind about how much money to contribute to a fund or loan or when to do it, I try to explain the reasoning behind my decision.  Usually I try to look at the numbers or give a real justification, but sometimes I just don’t have one.   The thing is THAT’S OKAY.

My personal finances can change all the time and for any reason I choose.  That’s part of why we call it personal finance.

If you wondered if I ever regret my decisions (i.e. pouring money into loans for most of 2013, then realizing I should have been contributing more to my Roth), then I guess I can tell you that I don’t.

Even though I change short-term goals, my long-term goals are probably never going to change.  That’s because they’re so simple:
1.      Spend less than what I bring in.
2.      Increase my net worth.

These two things seem so simple, and, to be honest, number 1 fits into number 2.  Whether I contribute to my Roth or pay down my loans, I’m still increasing my net worth just in different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment